I just started messing around with list template migration from V3 to 2010 and found it to be way too easy but very cool.

The first thing I did was save a list as a template in V3 and download to my laptop.

I then renamed the file from *.stp to *.cab and extracted the file Manifest.xml

The first change to make to manifest is to change

<productversion>3</productversion> to


Simple enough.

The next change I made was for any lookup fields I had. Do a search in the file for your lookup fields. You will see an attribute on thethat looks like List=”{GUID}”. All you have to do is change the attribute to List="Lists/<List name>" where < List name> is the name of the lookup list. And that is it.

Create a new CAB file, add your manifest and rename the file to *.stp again.

Upload the template to the SharePoint 2010 templates gallery.

Make sure that all source lookup lists have been created and then create your new list from the template.

When I did this I even had it keep the data in the template and everything matched up perfectly.​​​